A year ago, the GC Coalition started an “All PDFs Created Equal” initiative to build PDF creation guidelines that will better streamline digital project communication among all stakeholders from designers and contractors to owners and facilities.
The new Guidelines for Construction PDF Documents have now been jointly created by the GC Coalition and Design Coalition. Though PDFs are the defacto format for digital construction documentation, national design standards haven’t yet been defined. The Coalitions aims to provide guidelines to aid in implementing standards at project onset.
- Professionals experience major inefficiencies as inconsistent construction plans require revisions, workarounds and recreation.
- Valuable time is being lost despite advances in digital communication.
With standardization among digital plan sets and PDFs:
- Team members downstream can use technologies to leverage information embedded within a PDF.
- Crucial building and design information can be accessed with a click or tap, by any project member from anywhere.
- Revised drawings can be updated and slip-sheeted in seconds instead of minutes.
The benefits of standardization quickly add up to savings in project time and budget. Consensus upfront will bring significant benefits downstream. Please take 15 minutes to review the Guidelines for Construction PDF Documents survey and provide your feedback. If you agree with this effort, please share this survey. Every opinion counts!
Until next time,